30 June 2009

continuing?

The other day, I was sitting in our living room/dining room, reading about a documentary I couldn't watch. Our living room is Alex's, Justin's, and for the time being, mine. Alex was in the kitchen, and he remarked that I should blog more about food, because "you know so much about it." I thought that was a poignant remark, because I hadn't told him what I was reading about. So here it goes:
The documentary was made by a nutrition instructor and film maker wife and husband duo about whether or not it was possible to maintain a healthful diet on the approximately $1/person/meal that the food stamp program (SNAP-supplemental nutrition assistance program) allots. I was really intrigued by the concept, but the film has yet to make it to dvd and is currently making the rounds of film festivals and public screenings in Berkeley. So, I still don't know whether it was possible, but from the clips on the website, it seems like they were pretty hungry all the time.

I think that I will try to blog about food and food issues, if I keep this blog up. I find that whenever I have nothing to do, and after I've check and rechecked the emails, facebook, and twitter universe, I inevitably turn to the bookmark folder called "food/blogs." I read a lot about food in different contexts, and I hope to share some of that with all of you. I also cook a lot of food with my friends, and I like to talk about that, so you'll be sure to hear about it here.

So far, the most successful meals at Dinosaur house have been many meals of huevos rancheros, a delicious carne asada barbeque, a nom nom chicken parmigiana that I had little responsibility for, and tyler florence's ultimate lasagna.

I'm also going to start working in the F.E.A.S.T. garden on campus, so I'll hopefully learn lots of cool stuff.

I've been reading the 75th anniversary Joy of Cooking cookbook as if it were a novel, so I should also be getting some good stuff there.

P.S. Barcelona, Larkin's, Spitz, taco truck, kogi truck, coffee table, and frozen yogurt!!! they're all as good as I'd remembered them.

No comments:

Post a Comment